Monday, December 08, 2003

I will repeat a couple of emails I sent.

My nominations for Name the Next Houston SF Con.

GulfCon
CapsiCon
ChiliCon
BayouCon
HoustonCon: The Houston Science Fiction Conference
HouCon
ConTex
TexaCon

and bonus write-ins:

None-of-the-above Con
Mission CONtrol
Spiffy Skiffy Con
It's Not the Heat It's The HumidiCon


The Messiah or prophet I am most impressed with is Krishnamurti

He was brought up to be the new Messiah. He had a relatively wealthy
organization behind him with thousands of followers. In 1929
thousands gathered to hear him proclaim a new religion, to preach a
modern sermon on the mount, to hear what they could do to spread his
teachings. There was even a radio broadcast of the speech. For
eighteen years many of these people had been preparing for the new
teacher to shock the world, to bring enlightenment.

What did he say?

Go home.

"Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path
whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. Truth, being limitless,
unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be
organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce
people along any particular path."

"I do not want followers, and I mean this. The moment you follow
someone you cease to follow Truth. I am concerning myself with only
one essential thing: to set man free. I desire to free him from all
cages, from all fears, and not to found religions, new sects, nor to
establish new theories and new philosophies."

He dissolved the organization and for the rest of his life traveled as
a private citizen without a state, giving lectures to people urging
them to think for themselves.

It has been pointed out that Monty Python gave the same message in
'Life of Brian' so maybe I will also induct them into my Holy Hall of
Fame.

Complete speech here:
http://bernie.cncfamily.com/k_pathless.htm


I have avoided posting about my financial situation. I am undecided if that may change. I expect to not post as much.

No comments: