Monday, August 28, 2006

Latest movie - Update

R.V.


I saw one look at the previews and ads and decided to avoid it. Then my sister brought home four recent DVDs and this looked the best of the lot. I think it was.

While this is not a great movie and is very predictable in it's jokes and plot, when it isn't trying too hard it actually has a weird vibe going that works. While supposedly about an overworked executive who can't tell his family he lost his vacation to Hawaii and has to give a merger presentation in Colorado, it is really a Chevy Chase road trip movie with less nerve. The Gornickes, who Robin Williams's family the Munros meet up with, live permanently on the road in a converted bus and are first ridiculed and later teach valuable lessons. The music sequences and dry humor and odd characters played straight remind me of a Coen brothers movie which is where the interesting weird vibe comes in. Occasional sharp observations also make one wish the movie didn't keep pulling back to safe predictable "family" entertainment.

My Dad would like this movie, your mileage my vary. 3 out of 5 stars.

Amy Biancolli, who I usually agree with, hated it.

ADDED - I couldn't just leave you with one movie that I generously gave a 3 for some Coen quirkiness and a few laughs.

So Garden State - a young actor showcase with great direction, camera work, soundtrack, and story. Zach Braff and Natalie Portman are amazing in Zach's movie. Yes, Zach, the goofy and goofy looking guy from Scrubs, makes and stars in a terrific movie about an LA actor who returns to his hometown in New Jersey for a funeral and to perhaps grow up.

Recommended - 4 out of 5 stars.

Tags: , ,

No comments: